IT Professional trains students for entry-level employment in IT support, help desk, desktop support and general IT maintenance positions. The focus is on broad IT knowledge, technical customer support, troubleshooting, analysis, and problem solving. To gain a broad knowledge, it’s recommended that students attend all courses in the series. However students are able to pick and choose which courses are right for them.
IT Industry Certifications
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Network+
- LPI Linux Essentials
- CompTIA Security+
Pre-requisite: A conversation with a Program Manager is required prior to being accepted into the program to ensure that you have basic computer skills, and preferably prior IT training or experience.
CompTIA A+ Certification Training – PC Hardware and Software (Weeks 1-8)
- Disassemble and reassemble a working computer, establish a local computer network
- Load and configure a working Windows operating system
- Understand FAT filing systems and NTFS filing systems, optimize appropriate RAM on a computer system, partition a hard drive for multiple operating systems
- Troubleshoot, configure and repair
- Control access
- Design, implement, and configure security
CompTIA Network+ Certification Training – Network Fundamentals (Weeks 9-16)
- Understand networking concepts, topologies, major protocol suites, media and transport systems, network architecture, network hardware and network operating systems
- Learn the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) Model, Internet and TCP/IP Fundamentals, TCP/IP Suite
- Understand remote connectivity and network security
- Install, maintain and support a network
LPI Linux Essentials Certification Training (Weeks 17-25)
- Understand FOSS, various communities, and licenses
- Gain knowledge of open source applications in the workplace as they relate to closed source equivalents
- Learn basic concepts of hardware, processes, programs, and the components of the Linux Operating System
- Understand how to work on the command line and work with files and how to run simple scripts
- Demonstrate how to create and restore compressed backups and archives
- Demonstrate system security, users/groups and file permissions for public and private directories
CompTIA Security+ Certification Training – Security Fundamentals (Weeks 26-33)
- Learn the fundamentals of network security, compliance and operational security
- Summarize network threats and vulnerabilities
- Demonstrate application, data and host security techniques
- Apply access control and identity management processes
- Understand the basics of cryptography
IT Professional Spring 2021
- Dates: March 22 – December 3, 2021
- Application Deadline: March 8, 2021
- One-two week break between each class to allow time for certification exams.
- Class Schedule: Various weekday evenings, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Funding may be available for those who qualify. The Cyber Academy is a non-credit program that is not eligible for Financial Aid, but many Albuquerque residents qualify for funds that can assist with the cost of the program.
Cyber Academy programs are now eligible for the GI Bill®. Veterans should apply for GI Bill and obtain a Certificate of Eligibility before applying to the bootcamp. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
New Mexico residents might also be eligible for up to $9000 in tuition assistance from the Workforce Investment and Opportunity Act. Visit your local NM Workforce Connection Center for details.